Tugzy's Travels

Start at the links on the left, below this message. If you like what I've written, leave comments, if you don't like it, leave abuse. Either way, thanks for reading.

Friday, February 8, 2013

Last Night I Had a Good Gig

I'm heading out to do my first MC gig in a second, but I thought I'd sit down and write something first before I slide into the engulfing black that promises to be Saturday night. After I finish writing this, I'm going to change into my new jeans – hoping they fit properly – and walk out of the house with my notebooks, wallet and phone. Then I'll go get some fried rice from Loi Loi, around the corner. I love fried rice. I've been practising eating with chopsticks.

This MC gig – it's at Voltaire, a little upstairs performance space in North Melbourne that hosts an open mic every Sunday – isn't a comedy night, oh no no no. It's a burlesque show, so already, things are looking interesting. I'm excited though, because the fact that it's not a comedy show means that the audience, and even the performers, will have never heard any of my material before. I have a completely clean slate. Add to that the optimism that I've been feeling lately about my pool of material as a whole – I think I might almost be up to twenty usable, if not killer, minutes of stuff – and this gig is looking like it might just go okay.

Last night I had a spot at Fishface comedy in Footscray that went fucking brilliantly, which was nice. I tried a couple of bits that I've written in the last week and hadn't performed yet, as well as a bit that I did for the first and second time this week, and my bit about birdwatching and my mum that is turning into a pretty strong opener that reveals something about my personal life. The two new bits: last and second last, both killed, but the last one did especially well. It involves me yelling and screaming 'DUH DUH DERRRRR' whilst stomping around the stage for about a minute, and I'm really excited by it because I think I may have managed to write a bit that breaks out of the normal formula of 'stand on stage and say something funny' that stand up threatens to be trapped by, whilst still containing a conventional 'set-up, punchline' structure at its heart. I think I'm being a little pretentious here, and maybe reading Stewart Lee's book where he analyses three of his shows with liner notes has pushed me over the edge and into a pool of self-congratulatory wank. Hopefully not, friends. I need to remain vigilant.

All I think I'm trying to say here, is that I'm really looking forward to this MC gig, and I'm hoping it goes well and I get to do a good amount of material including some new stuff. I'll have to work on winning the crowd over with some of my more bankable material and then coming out with the weirder stuff, whilst still making sure that the stage is set for the burlesque acts themselves. Seven at the start of each bracket... wait... are there brackets in a burlesque show? Eh, this will all be a strange learning experience. I just want to get on stage, to be honest.

Feeling dangerously selfish, maybe? Over-confident after a good gig? Only time will tell.

Peace, Taco.

No comments:

Post a Comment