Tugzy's Travels

Start at the links on the left, below this message. If you like what I've written, leave comments, if you don't like it, leave abuse. Either way, thanks for reading.

Thursday, July 26, 2012

A Non-Racial Tram Ride (AKA How I escaped $380 worth of fines and danced the happy dance)

The most private times for me have always been on public transport. Or when I'm walking between the station and the destination – time spent in transit for me has always been when I get most of my serious thinking done, so stepping onto the tram is about as close as I get to going to a therapist. The sessions last as long as it takes me to get from A to B, and even then they are sometimes drowned out by music. If the song of the day is struggling to hold my attention though, or if I have made a conscious decision to allow my thoughts to bubble up in front of me today so that I can stand face-to-face with whatever I think might be on my mind, then public transport is the place where the thinking gets done. Public transport is my special place, and when I ride, I don't like to talk to anyone.

Yesterday I was sitting on a late night tram on my way home from a comedy show. I was listening to Kanye West's My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy and enjoying the seats on Melbourne public transport that, unlike those of Adelaide trams – which I have always contended bare a closer resemblance to rocks with a thin layer of algae than to seats of the sitting variety – are actually comfortable and possess a generous a softness. I had my feet on the seat in front of me (the seats are arranged in booths so that a pair faces another pair and then backs onto the ones behind it and... fuck it you all know how chairs work) and was nodding my head to Mr West's magnum opus when the doors opened and two transit cops came on: a heavy set black dude whose eyes I would soon discover had a scarily large pupil to white-bit ratio (the white bit was clearly winning), and another guy with a ticket scanning machine whose race remains unknown.

I didn't notice them at first, although old mate white-eyes sat across from me and, seeing him in my peripheral vision, I politely removed my feet from the chair that he clearly intended to sit on. As I removed my feet though he continued to stare at me, as if expecting some further grace or acknowledgement of his entrance into the tram – I had no idea that he was a transit cop at this point and so I searchingly removed an ear phone and asked him in a cool, young-person way, “what's up man?” He then pulled out his big boy badge from under his coat and the penny dropped in my mind, “you're fucked dude, you do not have a ticket WHATSOEVER... NOT EVEN A LITTLE BIT... here comes the shit”. I pulled out the other earphone (from memory, I took the right one out first) and heard him say something about a two-hundred dollar fine for having my feet on the seats. “GOD DAMN IT MOTHERFUCKER,” I thought to myself, “not only am I going to get completely James Blunted for not having my ticket, but I'm going to cop another fine for having my feet on the fucking chair... Jesus Christ this is the end, drink the Kool Aid now dude, let's have it over with.” I gave him my ID when he asked for it, and apologised in a regretful, defeated mutter, resigned to my fate and considering the ramifications this would have for my living situation. The fines together would total three-hundred and eighty dollars. Gobble, gobble, gobble mother fucker. Gobble, gobble, gobble.

As the indiscriminate race man (who is described thusly not because I took a good look at him and noticed a distinct racial ambiguity in his physical appearance, but precisely because I only got to notice him out of the corner of my eye, and race just seemed to be the order of the day for describing people with Samuel L. Wackson sitting across from me) paced down the aisle scanning people's tickets with his truth-telling machine I felt my bowels move, and then brace for the final evacuation. He had skipped me because I was talking to the glassy-eyed bear who was probably looking forward to using my limp body as a puppet once this was all over with, but I was sure that my fare evasion would come to light in due course. As my mind was busy making sums and my eyes were trying to avoid making contact with the decider with the fare-evasion-testing-kit so as to delay the eventual truth-telling, I heard something impossible. An insane sound made its way, first into my ears, then slowly through the side of my head and finally squeezing into my brain like a tube of toothpaste... “IIIIIIIIIIII'lllllllll juuuuuuuuuussssssstttttttttzzzzzzz lleeeeeeeeeehhhhhttttk yyyooouuuuu offfff wwwiith a warning this time.” The world snapped out of slow motion and the stern face belonging to the man with the tiny pupils sat in front of me, fully in focus. “People have to sit on these seats you know, think about it.” I heard myself saying, “sorry, yeah that's cool,” and behind my face some unnamed part of me was writhing and contorting in sheer horror at the situation that had just presented itself. The ticket guy was at the other end of the tram at this point and my hulking one-time foe had just gifted me what was most surely a chance at the most beautiful and timely escapes ever in the history of escaping since the time when people first thought up simple traps to catch birds, and a particularly crafty pigeon said, “fuck this, it's my kid's birthday tomorrow.”

So I jumped up as soon as I had calculated the optimal time of exit (quick note: it was RIGHT FUCKING NOW) and as luck would have it the tram was at a stop and the doors were already open. They closed just as I jumped out of the tram and even though I was still three blocks before my stop I turned down the nearest street to get off of Collins and make it look like that really was the stop I had meant to get off at. I don't know why I put on that little show for those two guys – to be honest, it was more for my racial friend than the other guy who I never had the chance to be introduced to – but one the tram was a fair way down the street I doubled back, and before turning my music back on I let fly a victorious scream. “FUCK YES, SUCK MY DICK MELBOURNE”. The kind of scream that I imagine all young travellers would release in such moments of pure relieved ecstasy. I am still undecided on whether I agree with the feet-on-seats rule over here... I sure as hell don't agree with it on the Adelaide trams, or even the trains, because the seats back home are only marginally better than sitting on the floor, and that margin is not significant enough to be worthwhile protecting from the two grains of sand or droplets of moisture on the bottom of my shoe. Over here though the seats are nice, squishy, soft, comfortable, friendly... they even look like they might just have souls.

I don't know about completely abstaining from resting my feet on those badboys, I mean a man's gotta have his man-space and I think we all know that public transport thinking is best performed in as close to horizontal orientation as can be practicably achieved at the time. But from now on, I think I might at least survey the chair to see if it's one of the nice ones before wacking my ole' size eight-and-a-halfs down on them. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

Peace, Taco.

No comments:

Post a Comment