Tugzy's Travels

Start at the links on the left, below this message. If you like what I've written, leave comments, if you don't like it, leave abuse. Either way, thanks for reading.

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Calling Out from a Good Place

Rising sounds, and the beat keeps rising. The time is ten twenty-one and it's Sunday evening, I'm sitting in the living room with Brodesh (that's Brodie and Desh – PICK IT UP!) and everything is happening. Where are the parents? Where are the law enforcers? Where is the landlord when we are skateboarding up and down her wooden passageway like a bunch of lecherous louts? “Who cares?” should be your immediate answer to all of those three questions, today is the day for answers, discovery, and simple solutions.

I'm not trying to say that we're somehow pioneering some new way of life – we're clearly not – and the phrase 'out front, breaking boundaries' has become so overused that applying it to a person now seems to imply a level of mundaneness completely separate from the original intention. But we're doing the do out here... something just feels right. Something happened by accident when I moved over here that has made life that much simpler, like the unintended triple-syllable rhyme at the end of a sentence you said to the cashier when you were down at Coles buying your groceries. I was doing absolutely nothing in Adelaide... for the last two and a half weeks I had a shitty, terrible MENIAL joke of a fucking 'job' selling electricity to people door-to-door. Not even selling, just convincing – I was a door to door convincer – trying to persuade people that their current electricity companies, whatever they were (it was irrelevant really) were somehow screwing them out of money and that the company I worked for could save them cash. (we couldn't... AT ALL) But even when I wasn't taken up with this worthless existence, when I had free time, I wasn't in the right place within myself to do anything with it. And before those deathly last two point five weeks when I had NO job, it was even worse. I couldn't bring myself to do anything, but coming over here just changed everything.

I don't even know what it was, but from the first day that I was in this city my life and my mind just felt different; as if a change of scenery was the permission slip I needed to get out and do something every day. Sitting in and watching movies and pretending to work no longer enough.

So now I'm sitting here with a tie wrapped around my head and fastened in a crude granny-knot with the two ends hanging down over my left temple like a cheap ponytail-wig and everything in my universe feels right. Of course I can't leave you here, how could I that would be like leaving myself. But I just want you all to know that from where I stand right now, things couldn't get much better. It reminds me of what Bill Hicks once said, that “evolution didn't end with us growing thumbs you know... now it's time we started to evolve ideas.” It's a stretch to tie in, but you know I'm up to it... I feel like I've gone about as far as I can in the happiness direction, being happy isn't even a goal any more, it's done. It's still happening, but I don't have to try any more. I have to find some new direction to progress in now, and that's where the idea of evolving ideas comes in... whereas for as long as I can remember since I emerged from the mist of adolescent emotional entrapment I've just been trying to find and maintain pockets of happiness in a chaotic life, I now know that regardless of the good days and the bad days and the dips and highs and swooping changes in my mood, I don't have to worry about that any longer. Now it is time to grow in another direction. In the last two months that search has begun, and it continues today. I just thought I'd report back for a second, and maybe rest on my laurels just that tiny bit.

So this is me, calling out. Aidan Jones, for one night at peace with the world, before the search resumes tomorrow.

Peace, Taco.

No comments:

Post a Comment