Tugzy's Travels

Start at the links on the left, below this message. If you like what I've written, leave comments, if you don't like it, leave abuse. Either way, thanks for reading.

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

A Million Reasons Why Ebay Can Get FUCKED, and the Beautiful Busker I Saw on Swanston

So I bought this MacBook Pro from a guy in my hostel (Jordan) the other day for three-hundred and fifty ding-dongs after he had asked me to take it down to Cash Converters and sell it for him. They had offered that much and I said I'd match it and he could keep the money he was going to give me for running his errand. The whole point behind buying it was that me and my best mate Phil (who spotted me the money and came up with the idea) were going to give Jordan the money he was going to get anyway – money that he needed right now for a plane back to Perth – and we would sell it online at a higher price, but without any time limit. It seemed like a good idea at the time... and really, it still seems like a good idea right now. There's one hitch though – and it only takes one – that has brought our operation close to failure and placed my shuddering nerves on the precipice of complete collapse: Ebay... go fuck yourself.

We first listed the item with an instant buy price of $950 and a starting auction price of $700 over five days... seems simple enough right? WRONG. After about two days we got a bid for the full nine-fifty and we were ready to hi-5 and dance the funky chicken, but the buyer turned out to be a fake account from Nigeria and the person behind the keyboard came out with some “I'm just on holiday at the moment can you send it to my home account” bullshit. Fuck off, I'd rather my money remain un-grifted thanks. After the item was bid at the full price though, Ebay took the listing down assuming that we had completed the transaction and all was fine... even though it clearly was not fine, and any cursory glance from the Ebay staff towards the status of the transaction would have revealed this. No money changed hands, and no sale was made. Nevertheless nine-hundred and fifty chattleford noo-nahs were deducted from our Ebay account's selling limit for the month (which starts at $2500 and can only be increased by a rigorous proof-of-identity process which... well let's just say we can't increase it) even though... ahem... NO SALE HAD BEEN MADE.

I relisted the item (short note, I have noticed that I've been using that word – 'relisted' – an awful lot during this saga; on my phone, in gmail, in word etc. and nowhere is it recognized as a word... I keep getting the little squiggly red line telling me to hyphenate but GUESS WHAT – I DON'T WANT TO FUCKING HYPHENATE!)... Ok I relisted the item a few days later and surprise surprise the same thing happened. Dodgy lady paying the full price of nine-hundred and fifty imaginary moneys and then running her imaginary mouth about some imaginary story of how she's on holiday and needs the money into an overseas account and... well whatever. Of course, being the oracle of foresight that I am I had thought to list my phone number in the description of the item this time so that real potential buyers could contact me directly and we could fuck off the worthless middle-man that is Ebay and get this thing done right. So I got a text from someone in Sydney asking about the MacBook and I feel like we have developed some level of mutual trust in the concept that we are both real people and not darkness, West African confidence tricksters... but this (calm down Aidan, caaaaaalm... breathe) this person still wants to complete the transaction over Ebay. I'm assuming this is to ensure that his money is not made off with by me, an untrustworthy foreign entity, and as far as he knows, a shady West African confidence trickster.

Well here la-di-FUCKING-da buddy. I'm SORRY I don't have FIVE GOLD STARS next to my name when it comes up in your phone and my pleas for a PHONE CALL are met with stunned silence and RETARDED REQUESTS FOR PICTURES OF THE LAPTOP WHICH I AGREE TO SEND YOU AND THEN WHEN I DO YOU STILL STUTTER AND STAMMER AND SIT ON YOUR FUCKING HANDS LIKE A LITTLE BITCH NOT EVEN RESPONDING TO MY SUGGESTIONS OF HOW WE CAN FINALLY END THIS DISGUSTING FARCE OF A DEAL FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCKING FUCK KILL EVERYONE...

Can you tell I'm upset?

Earlier today I was walking down Swanston St in the middle of town and reciting the speech for my new job as a walking-tour guide in my head. I was about to cross over Collins St when I heard a lovely, clean guitar chord amplified by a small, portable speaker that the girl playing the guitar had mounted in her case. She started singing, and I forgot all about crossing the road and turned back to watch her – the only person in a sea of faces with nowhere in particular to be and nothing in particular to worry about missing. I sat down on a seemingly superfluous white, wooden block that I could only imagine was fixed to the pavement four-hundred years ago with the sole purpose of giving me somewhere to sit while this beautiful siren sang her songs out into the world on this windy Thursday afternoon. She played smooth and sweet as I rummaged around in the bottom of my bag for the silver coins I knew rattled around in some obscure pocket... I knew it wouldn't be as much as she deserved, but it would have to do.

I don't normally give money to buskers – mainly because I don't normally stop and watch. This girl though, and that moment, there was something about the five or ten minutes that passed as I sat on my lonely chair in the middle of the footpath... it was one of those perfect silences that come around very rarely in life and must be savoured when they do, no matter the surroundings. I knew the storm that was brewing in the cables and hollow wires of cyberspace at that very moment when I sat down and stopped my life for the girl with the guitar. I knew it was there, but when I sat down I decided that for now, just for a second, it could disappear. In these quiet moments when life stands still, only a smile can intrude on my peaceful meditation. No troubles. No worry. No scathing insults or fiery torment that grinds inside my brain and threatens to boil over violently at any moment. No jittery unease... just me, and the music.

I dropped the coins in her guitar case, and she quickly said “thanks” in the middle of singing. I smiled at her one last time, and walked off down Swanston street, ready to swear at people some more and curse the stupidity of creation. The MacBook is a long way from sold, but I feel that the blood clots inside my brain have begun to slowly repair themselves and I've stopped thinking about different ways of killing people.
Smile.

Peace, Taco.

No comments:

Post a Comment